Algorithmic Software Prototypes Support
You will have the opportunity to support ESA in the definition, development and prototyping of algorithms and software tools for the exploitation of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), MultiSpectral (MS) Optical and Radar Altimeter (RA) data, principally from ESA missions.
You will principally utilise data from the following ESA EO missions/sensors/modes: ENVISAT (ASAR, MERIS, AATSR, RA2), CRYOSAT2, Sentinel 1 (SAR TOPS, Wave mode), Sentinel 2 (MSI), Sentinel 3 (SRAL, OLCI, SLSTR.
The scope of work will include:
- Review and analysis of existing software tools available for the exploitation of SAR, optical and RA data from ESA, Sentinels and 3rd Party satellite missions.
- Support the development of innovative EO products for SAR, optical, RA and Earth Explorer related science and applications, by benchmarking, testing and prototyping algorithms elaborated either in ESA external application development projects or following ESA internal investigation activities.
- Support the development, benchmarking and comparison of multi-temporal Sentinel-2 algorithms (i.e. processing of Sentinel 2 time series) for land cover, agriculture, forestry and coastal zone applications.
- Prototyping, testing and documentation of new algorithms and EO data analysis tools for the exploitation of SAR, optical and RA data, starting from preliminary high-level specifications provided by the Agency or external research teams, and evaluation of the generated output products
- Development and evaluation of preliminary algorithmic and processing chain concepts to verify feasibility, establish performance requirements, and prepare formal specifications for operational S/W to be implemented externally by third parties or in preparation for ESA Exploitation projects.
- Support internal scientific feasibility activities involving data analysis in preparation for potential future ESA Exploitation projects;
- IDL, PCI, Matlab, ERDAS will be used for algorithm definition and evaluation prior to implementation in C, C++ or JAVA under UNIX/LINUX/MS Windows
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- You have a degree in a relevant technical field such as Physics, Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science.
- Ideally a higher-level degree qualification (such as MSc or PhD) in relevant fields of Remote sensing, signal and image processing
- You have at least 5 years of experience in a directly relevant industrial or research environment.
- Excellent knowledge of ESA and 3rd Party EO missions, and related science and applications
- Hands-on expertise in 3 domains:
- Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) applications (Sentinel-1 , BIOMASS)
- Multi-spectral imaging with specialist skills in HR optical remote sensing (Sentinel2)
- Radar Altimetry data processing systems (over ocean, land, ice using e.g. Sentinel-3 and Cryosat2)
- Good knowledge of EO data products, formats, and analysis tools.
- Experience in object-oriented design, implementation, testing and validation of algorithms and processing systems related to EO data processing.
- Experience of EO data ordering, retrieval, processing & archiving
- Knowledge of C, C++, Java, Python under Windows and UNIX/LINUX
- Knowledge of IDL/ENVI, PCI, Matlab, ERDAS for scientific algorithm development
- Proficiency in MS Office Tools
- Proactive approach to problem identification and resolution
- Be able to work both autonomously
- Be bale to work with multi-national team
Have a positive attitude to international cooperation