Applications Projects Support
In this role you will have the opportunity to support ESA in activities related to the evaluation of technical deliverables of EO application development projects carried out by external teams
The scope of work will include:
- Investigate, review & synthetize the needs of various end-user communities for specific domains of applications.
- Analyse EO data sources, product availability, sensor modes, and acquisition logistics required for specific application development projects, prior and during the execution of the projects.
- Investigate, resolve and keep track of technical issues related to ESA-furnished datasets, also called ESA Customer furnished Items (CFI) and supporting documents that are made available to the external teams in charge of the application development projects.
- Review, collect, evaluate and document auxiliary data sources (principally but not exclusively non-EO data sources) required for cal/val activities of application development projects
- Prepare Test Data Sets (TDS) for delivery to external project teams and used in cal/val activities of application development projects.
- Support the review of technical deliverables (S/W prototypes, technical documentation, preliminary and final products) during the engineering and development phase of application development projects, raising problem reports and tracking actions
- Work with the external project teams for the testing and validation of information product deliveries (both intermediate and final products).
- Perform in-house analyses and performance assessments of software deliveries, raising Software Problem Reports (SPRs) and tracking actions.
- Participate and contribute actively to user consultation workshops, internal coordination meetings, qualification and acceptance tests and project reviews.
- Generate technical notes and promotional material for communicating project result.
- Participate to scientific publications on application development projects.
- Support the review of program performances and production of Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- You have a degree in a relevant technical field such as Physics, Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Geography, Geosciences, Meteorology.
- Ideally a higher-level degree qualification (such as MSc or PhD) in relevant fields of SAR processing, signal and image processing, optical remote sensing, Radar Altimetry, oceanography, hydrology, cryospheric science, geodesy
- You have at least 5 years of experience in a directly relevant industrial or research environment.
- Extensive knowledge of ESA EO missions, and related science and applications
- Specialist skills in exploitation of SAR and passive microwave sensors, optical remote sensing of land/coastal areas/ocean/cryosphere, radar altimetry, atmospheric sounding.
- Expertise in applications development with EO missions, not exclusively related to ESA missions
- Experience in the generation and evaluation of global level 3 EO products
- Knowledge of modern programming languages such as IDL, Python, Matlab, C, C++, JAVA under UNIX/LINUX/MS Windows
- Experience in algorithm testing and product validation
- Hands-on experience in image processing & GIS software (e.g. Envi, ERDAS, ArcGIS, Arcinfo)
- Knowledge of Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standards, web mapping, GIS data mining techniques and GIS Spatial Analysis tools.
- Good technical writing and communication skills
- Expert proficiency in MS Office tools
- Proactive approach to problem identification and resolution
- Be able to work both autonomously
- Be bale to work with multi-national team
- Have a positive attitude to international cooperation.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.