Communications and Network Systems Engineer
In the course of developing and deploying network infrastructure, services and solutions for current and emerging operational networks, you will have the opportunity to carry out the following tasks:
- Infrastructure, services and solutions specification
- Coordination of infrastructure, services and solutions deployment
- Perform infrastructure, services and solutions deployment
- Management of infrastructure, services and solutions
- Procurements of customer-led network services and systems
- Network systems and services anomaly handling and troubleshooting
- Contribute to the migration to a replacement WAN link between EUMHQ and the various off site locations.
- Contribute to the migration of existing operational program-specific and shared facilities from their current legacy networks to the consolidated network infrastructure at EUMHQ.
- Upgrade the EUMETSAT networks in remote sites, incl. Madrid/E, Longyearbyen/Svalbard/N, Fucino/I as well as the WAN links connecting the remote sites to the EUMHQ.
- Contribute to the development and deployment of network solutions for the future satellite programs ground infrastructure
- Develop an understanding of the existing network monitoring and reporting capabilities, with a view to establishing a roadmap for the implementation of more developed real-time performance monitoring and reporting solution.
- Liaison and prime Point of Contact (PoC) to network customers, responsible for:
- Understanding and ownership of the customer/user/business needs and constraints
- Ownership of network performance and service quality of the solutions delivered to the customer
- Ownership of customer expectation, buy-in and satisfaction
- Deployment and Roll-out coordinator, responsible for:
- Seamless and minimised-impact roll-out
- Ownership of roll-out problem recording and resolution
- Roll-out and delivery according to customer expectation and plan
- Ownership of risk identification and mitigation
- Interface and liaison with Service Providers and suppliers
- Liaison and point of relay between the customers and the INS team, responsible for:
- Representing the customer needs and constraints through participation in Comms team activities
- Coordinating the activities of providing the customer solution with the relevant Comms team activities of developing and operating the network infrastructure and services.
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- You have a University Degree (or equivalent).
- You are fluent in English (Level C1).
- You have at least 5 years of proven knowledge and hands-on experience in several of the following mandatory skills areas:
- Experience of network engineering in such environments throughout its lifecycle, from identification of needs to deployment and operations.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience of supporting procurements of network systems and services.
- Experience of configuring and operating network management and monitoring systems such as Netbrain or SolarWinds. Ability to automate network routine monitoring and maintenance tasks.
- Experience of interacting with suppliers of network products and service providers as part of network infrastructure, services and solutions development and deployment.
- Experience of working in and applying the above skills in high-availability, always-on production environments, driven by high availability requirements.
- Ability to present - verbally and in writing - network solutions and systems in a comprehensible way, with the specific ability to explain relevant details while keeping the focus on the overall system aspects. Ability to translate IT jargon into customer business terms.
- In-depth knowledge of Cisco technology and solutions for these environments.
- Experience of carrying out (specifying, preparing, planning and executing) network engineering activities, including their coordination and technical guidance, working with other engineers within and outside the team involved in the activities, and with the customers/users and other stakeholders.
- You have a high degree of autonomy and you have good analytical skills.
The following skills would be highly desirable:
- You have a good knowledge of MS-Visio application.
- You have demonstrated capability of technical authoring (structure/organisation of concept, design, and test specification documents, and of creating and working with technical network diagrams (Visio)).
- You have good knowledge of Voice Loop Systems (VLS) solutions based on VoIP.
- You hold a current Cisco certification or you are able to substantiate equivalent experience.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.