Company Projects Support
You will have the opportunity to support ESA on technical activities related to the preparation, monitoring and management of Industry Growth projects carried out by external teams. The ESA Industry Growth Element supports small companies to demonstrate the benefits of specialised information services based on EO to new end-users, drawn increasingly from the private sector (industry). The main sensors that will be used for value-adding projects are Sentinel-1 and 2, COSMO SkyMEd, Terrasar-X,Tandem-X, Radarsat-2, PLEIADES, SPOT, RapidEye, UK-DMC2, Deimos-1, Kompsat-2, Landsat 7 and US VHRO data (e.g. Quickbird, IKONOS, Worldview, Geoeye) alongside with EO data ex archive from a broad range of missions (e.g. ENVISAT ASAR, ERS SAR, SPOT, LANDSAT, Radarsat-1, etc.)
The scope of work will include:
- Survey, collect, evaluate & document the current use and future needs for geo-information within specific industry sectors in connection with their operations. For e.g.: transport, agro-chemicals, geo-marketing, tourism sectors
- Research and document role and activities of international trade bodies and industrial associations within industry sectors, wrt professional standards, formats and tools related to the use of geo-information and EO in industry sectors
- Support the review of technical deliverables from projects, in particular specifications of EO service trials, and reports of utility of EO services from industry
- Define, collect and analyse key information for monitoring the impact of the programme as a whole e.g. spin-off commercial sales of services, availability, reliability, utility and affordability of services from the perspective of the users
- Follow-up with industries that have received services and gather and prepare specialised customer testimony prepare it for web publication
- Maintain the web site content as up-to-date source of all activities of the programme (on-going and planned projects, current results and achievements).
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- The candidate should possess a degree in a relevant technical field such as Physics, Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Geography, Geosciences, Meteorology.
- Ideally a higher-level degree qualification (such as MSc or PhD) in relevant fields of SAR processing, signal and image processing, optical remote sensing, Radar Altimetry, oceanography, hydrology, cryospheric science, geodesy
- The candidate should have at least 5 years of experience in a directly relevant industrial or research environment.
- Extensive experience of ESA EO missions, related science and applications
- Specialist skills in: exploitation of SAR and passive microwave sensors, Optical remote sensing of land/ocean, Radar Altimetry, Atmospheric sounding,
- Experience researching, analysing & synthesizing complex industry & market reports
- Good knowledge of the European EO service industry
- Good knowledge of commercial EO missions
- High proficiency in using web tools for retrieving & publishing scientific information
- Experience in drafting and editing complex technical reports
- Good communication and technical writing skills
- Expert proficiency in MS Office tools
- Proactive approach to problem identification and resolution
- Be able to work both autonomously
- Be bale to work with multi-national team
- Have a positive attitude to international cooperation.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.