Data Handling and Processing Support
You will have the opportunity to support ESA on technical activities related to EO data handling and processing in the context of scientific and application demonstration projects, and contributing to the maintenance and the upgrade of existing ESA tools (including web-based information systems and databases).
The scope of work will include:
- Participate to the testing of software tools developed by external industrial teams and delivered to the Agency for acceptance.
- Participate to the verification of EO data products developed by external industrial teams and delivered to the Agency for acceptance.
- Data ingestion into EOP-SD processing systems for testing and validation purposes
- Evaluate the performances of difference computing environments (including GRID and cloud computing) for the processing of large scale datasets and provide support to the development of Thematic Exploitation Platforms (TEPs) which collocates data, processing capabilities and IT infrastructures, providing distributed computing environments for scientific exploitation of EO data.
- Support the transfer of specific EO data handling applications to the DIAS European Science Cloud or Amazon WS system
- Maintenance and evolution of the ESA on line sytems ( e.g.ATSR World Fire Atlas, Sen4CAP, Land Cover at 10m)
- Support the preparation of dedicated data sets for exploitation activities in coordination with ground segment operations teams. This may involve dedicated processing activities in clous environment and preparation of dedicated processed datasets in specific formats (e.g., projections, gridded)·
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- The candidate should possess a degree in a relevant technical field such as Physics, Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Geography, Geosciences, Meteorology.
- Ideally a higher-level degree qualification (such as MSc or PhD) in relevant fields of SAR processing, signal and image processing, optical remote sensing, Radar Altimetry, oceanography, hydrology, cryospheric science, geodesy
- The candidate should have at least 5 years of experience in a directly relevant industrial or research environment
- Good general knowledge of ESA EO missions, and related science and applications.
- Good knowledge of EO data products, formats, and analysis tools.
- Experience in new web technologies and the development of web-based GIS interfaces and web services.
- Specialist skills in HR optical remote sensing (for Sentinel 2 activities).
- Experience in modern computing environment such as cloud and grid computing
- Experience of EO data ordering, retrieval, processing & archiving
- Experience in software testing and product verification
- Background in object-oriented software development.
- High skill and knowledge of modern programming languages such as IDL, Python, Matlab, C, C++, Java under UNIX/LINUX/WS Windows
- Proficiency in MS Office Tools
- Proactive approach to problem identification and resolution
- Be able to work both autonomously
- Be bale to work with multi-national team
- Have a positive attitude to international cooperation.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.