International Charter Projects Support
In this role you will have the opportunity to support ESA to urgently provide EO data products to value-adding partners enabling rapid crisis/damage mapping services in response to external emergency requests within the frame of the International Charter for Support to Natural Disasters (http://www.disasterscharter.org/) in the aftermaths of major disasters.
The candidate will primarily be involved with the exploitation of data from the following sensors:- Sentinel-1 and 2, PLEIADES, Cosmo Skymed, SPOT 4/5, FORMOSAT-2, SAC-C, RADARSAT-1, RADARSAT-2, Terrasar-X, Tandem-X, RapidEye, UK-DMC2, Deimos-1, NigeriaSat-2, NigeriaSat-X, PROBA V, IMS-1, Oceansat-2, RESOURCESAT-2, RISAT-1, Cartosat-1, Cartosat-2, Kompsat-2, POES, GOES, Landsat 5-7,Quickbird, IKONOS, Worldview-1, Worldview-2,Geoeye-1
The scope of work will include alongside two different paths:
- Project Management of charter activations (about 10 activations per annum) - 25% of the effort
- Act as Charter Project Manager for nominated disaster events
- Analyze emergency requests issued by external bodies (e.g. civil protection) and assessment of feasibility to respond
- Investigate on the availability and suitability of EO data (catalogues, browse) required for specific rapid/crisis mapping activities
- Liaise with ESRIN User Services/Order Desk and Mission Planners and other EO data suppliers to set-up data acquisition and data provision plan
- Monitor and track information and data flow from/to all external sources
- Technical Analysis in support of ESA/charter executive secretariat - 75% of the effort
- Carry out EO data quality assessment and additional processing/post-processing (e.g. NRT co-registration of time series) to supply EO data ready for use in rapid actions
- Maintain the related databases/archives for the extraction of relevant statistical information concerning Charter activations and disaster management activities
- Assess the rapid action performance and Charter data supply procedures
- Compile requirements for new tools/products/services to enhance rapid action
- Support technical/strategic analyses of disaster management activities and compilation of case-history file for each rapid action
- Support the preparation of training packages (internal for ESA PMs)
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- The candidate should possess a degree in a relevant technical field such as Physics, Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Geography, Geosciences, Meteorology.
- Ideally a higher-level degree qualification (such as MSc or PhD) in relevant fields of SAR processing, signal and image processing, optical remote sensing, Radar Altimetry, oceanography, hydrology, cryospheric science, geodesy
- The candidate should have at least 5 years of experience in a directly relevant industrial or research environment.
- Good knowledge of EO products, formats and analysis tools
- Expertise in satellite based thematic mapping applications with emphasis on crisis mapping & damage assessment based on optical & SAR data
- Experience of EO data ordering, retrieval, processing & archiving
- Expertise in EO-based Cartography, image processing and GIS applications
- Project coordination experience within international environment
- Ability to work autonomously under constraints of rush production in direct contact with ESA, external space agencies, operational organisations, industry
- Good communication and technical writing skills
- High proficiency in using web tools for retrieving & publishing scientific information
- Expert proficiency in MS Office
- Proactive approach to problem identification and resolution
- Be able to work both autonomously
- Be bale to work with multi-national team
- Have a positive attitude to international cooperation.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.