Mission Geophysicist for CryoSat-2
For our client, the European Space Agency, RHEA is recruiting a Mission Geopphysicist to work on the Cryosat 2 Mission. You will work closely with the Mission Manager providing quality and scientific support to the CryoSat mission, with an emphasis on the performance and quality of the SIRAL instrument and products.
CryoSat is the Earth Explorer radar altimeter mission of the European Space Agency whose main goal is to provide the scientific community with accurate measurements of mass and thickness fluctuations in the Earth’s land and marine ice fields. Such measurements are of particular importance for the testing and verification of mesoscale and regional numerical models that include cryospheric components, and for improving our understanding and predictions of the impact of a changing climate on the cryosphere https://earth.esa.int/cryosat
The scope of work will include:
- Provide end-to-end scientific assessment of the CryoSat geophysical products (i.e. Level2) focusing mainly on sea ice and land ice fields;
- Support investigation and troubleshooting related to the CryoSat geophysical products;
- Provide scientific advice on the quality of the current processing algorithms and their evolution;
- Support the assessment and analysis of the performance of the SIRAL instrument, including product verification, validation and calibration activities of the Cryosat mission;
- Support the management and evolution of the scientific processors including their validation;
- Assist the management of the Cryosat Quality Working Group and related scientific support;
- Support CryoSat communication activities (e.g. web stories, ESA publications, etc.), contributing to the preparation of presentations and reports, including for international geophysical conferences (EGU, AGU, etc.) and workshops. Publication of scientific papers to be published on a peer review journal is highly encouraged
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- PhD or equivalent in Earth Sciences or Engineering with experience in the use and analysis of remote sensing satellites data especially altimetry.
- Experience with CryoSat’s geophysical data over sea-ice and/or land ice is an asset.
- High level of self-motivation and proactiveness, the capability to work effectively in a team with minimum supervision and have excellent communication and presentation skills. A very good knowledge of the English language, both oral and written is required.
- Experience in data processing and use of tools such MATLAB or IDL language for data analysis and visualisation.