Radio Navigation Engineer
You will have the opportunity to provide engineering support to the Radio Navigation Systems & Technology Section at the European Space Agency, in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
- Radio Navigation system (GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO etc.) and augmentation (EGNOS, WAAS, QZSS etc.). The work includes studies: analyses and testing of navigation systems/segments/elements/technology, dissemination and navigation algorithms, including tools development; evaluation of Navigation/Positioning/Timing algorithm and techniques, user/system/segment performance assessment based on software simulators, laboratory and field measurements, and support to ESA projects in follow up of industrial procurements.
- Radio Navigation equipment covering space applications. The work includes study, design, analysis and testing of navigation/positioning/ranging/monitoring technology and receiver for space. Radio Navigation space applications performed at ESA include: scientific applications (atmospheric sounding, oceanic observation), formation flying, rendezvous and attitude determination.
- Radio Navigation equipment for terrestrial applications. The work includes study, design, analysis and testing of navigation receivers/technology for terrestrial applications and local augmentation. Radio Navigation terrestrial applications performed at ESA are those related with high performance based on high accuracy (e.g. geodesy) and/or high integrity (e.g. civil aviation, maritime).
- Radio Navigation signals and signal processing. The work includes study, design, analysis and testing of signal and signal processing techniques including tools/equipment development and procurement. It encompasses signal structure, modulations, data dissemination, techniques for error correction, synchronisation, multipath mitigation and estimation, interference mitigation, cancellation, encryption, authentication, etc.
- Radio Navigation Laboratory equipment. The work includes definition procurement design, testing, usage of Radio Navigation equipment in support to Radio Navigation experiments and test campaigns.
- Assistance in preparation of invitation to tenders related to ESA Projects and R&D activities and contracts technical follow-up.
- Specific engineering support to space projects developed by ESA and/or by major European industries/operators.
- Validation of designs by means of analyses, simulations, laboratory testing and field trials (possibly in co-operation with third parties).
- Design, implementation and testing tasks for technological projects.
- Execution of internal R&D activities through design, prototyping, analysis and simulations.
- Simulation and testing in laboratory of Navigation systems and equipment.
- Preparation of technical documents on above subjects.
- Support to related demonstrations inside and outside ESTEC.
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- You have a University degree in the fields of Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Physics or Aerospace Engineering.
- You have at least 4 years in the relevant domain.
- You have specific knowledge in the design and testing of Radio Navigation systems and equipment.
- You have strong knowledge on the design of satellite navigation systems, ranging and positioning techniques, RF, signal processing techniques, and digital navigation receivers.
- You have relevant experience with the GNSS1, EGNOS and/or GALILEO systems and equipment and have a good knowledge of Radio Navigation simulation and testing systems.
- You have proven experience in the implementation, maintenance and operation of complex Radio Navigation simulation and test facilities for spacecraft, aircraft, maritime and land mobile applications.
- You have strong experience at user level with satellite navigation receivers and satellite navigation positioning and integrity algorithms.
The following skills would be highly desirable:
- You have some experience of commercial simulation software.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.