Space Debris Engineer
You will have the opportunity to provide engineering support to the analysis, development and research activities of the ESA Space Debris Office.
- Support mission customers for the compliance verification analysis task
- Contribute to mission milestone reviews for compliance aspects w.r.t. mitigation guidelines
- Perform, in support of missions, runs with DRAMA, Scarab and Snappshot and document the results
- Follow-up external research, as well as internal Research Fellow and NPI activities and plan/adapt internal work accordingly
- Support CDF sessions
- Support the definition of the studies for GSTP and other ESA study programs in the area of space debris.
- Provide Training on OPS-SD software and processes to internal and external trainees also in training sessions not organised by ESA
- Routine operation of ESA’s conjunction event prediction system for internal and external customers (apart from Copernicus missions)
- Detailed analysis and consultancy in the case of a high-risk conjunction event in liaison with the Flight Control Teams, external customers and Flight Dynamics
- Contributions to the Maintenance, evolution and upgrade of ESA’s conjunction event prediction system and documentation
- Contributions to the evolution and Upgrade of ESA’s DISCOS database system and systems based thereon
- Contribute the ESA’s re-entry forecasting process
- Standby for project support in the areas of Cleanspace and SSA, and the upcoming Space Safety Programme
- Support to the interfacing with external entities, such as CSpOC for the analysis of conjunction events
- Participate to the offices regular monthly infrastructure coordination meetings
- Participate to the office’s monthly routine meeting
- Present and promote ESA achievements recent research and work performed at the space debris office at international conferences (once per year), and support related public relation or outreach activities
- Support the organisation of conferences and workshops, and run space debris office demonstration towards VIP tours in the space debris facility
- Provision of technical expertise to the ESA Technical Responsible in responding to TV, broadcast and newspaper interview requests on space debris
The following skills and experience are mandatory:
- You have university degrees in the field of either astronomy, mathematics, engineering, or physics
- You are able to apply knowledge to develop solutions to technical (mathematical and dynamical) problems in cooperation with customers and other experts
- You are able to define, implement, validate and operate software which applies the above solutions (using at least Linux scripting languages, Fortran, C++, Python)
- You have good communication and presentation skills
- You are fluent in English, both in speech and writing
- You have experience in coordinating and interacting with other service providers in associated fields as well as (internal and external) customers of services provided by the Space Debris Office.
- You are able to work independently
The following skills would be highly desirable:
- You are familiar with the ESOC environment
- You are familiar/experienced with Space Debris tasks
- You have experience in dealing with external interfaces
- You have experience with Linux, network services and protocols, and system administration
- You have the ability to multi-task efficiently; working on multiple activities; multiple missions simultaneously.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.