Space Resources Engineer
You will be responsible for the end-to-end delivery of the ESA Space Resource Strategy. This includes the maintenance of the strategy, the coordination of all related actions implemented within the European Space Exploration Envelope Programme and other relevant ESA programmes, the monitoring of progress and outcomes achieved as well as the implementation of stakeholder community building and engagement actions.
You will work closely with the ESA internal innovation network build across all Directorates, the ESA team for Science in Space, experts from the ESA Technical Directorate, Members of the Spaceship EAC (European Astronaut Centre) initiative and Technical Officers implementing Space Resources related study and development activities.
- Monitoring the progress achieved in delivering the ESA Space Resource Strategy as well as for regularly updating it, taking into account the evolving international and European context and stakeholder community inputs.
- Definition and implementation of related ESA funded ground-based research and supporting the establishment and operations of the European Innovation Centre for Space Resources.
- Implementing activities and assigned studies aimed at integrating space resources into future space exploration mission architectures and supporting the identification of related cooperation opportunities with European institutions and international Partners.
- Analysing the space resources value chain and economic impacts as well as identifying opportunities for engaging new organisations in ground and space-based research and development activities. This includes the identification and assessment of potential commercial applications derived from Space Resources related investments in research and development.
- Establishing and managing partnerships with European and international organisations aimed at advancing the challenge-driven Space Resources Strategy.
- Leading the definition and implementation of stakeholder community building and engagement actions.
- Identifying knowledge gaps and critical technologies for extraction and mining of Space resources and establishing and maintaining an overall technology maturation plan.
- Establishing and implementing a comprehensive approach for managing Space Resources related knowledge.
- Monitoring the international and European policy and legal framework for Space Resources and assessing implications on ESA activities.
- You have a Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in engineering and/or science. An additional Master in Business and Administration is considered an asset.
- You have 5 year experience in working on Space Resources related research and development and as well as a proven track-record of successfully managing innovation projects and initiatives and establishing strategic partnerships.
- You have good knowledge of space system engineering.
- You have multi-disciplinary knowledge of area of responsibility.
- You have knowledge of innovation processes and tools.
- You have knowledge of the global space exploration plans and programmes.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.