Telecommunications System Engineer
You will have the opportunity to coordinate the activities required for setting-up future Institutional and European telecommunications Programmes/ Initiatives/Activities in the area optical communications (Intra-Satellite, Satellite connections between Satellites, Ground, or Airborne) and applications/services) as well as in the area of secure satcom for safety and security, research programs (H2020, Horizon Europe), partnership programmes. The activities notably include the support of preparatory activities, actions and implementation in cooperation and cooperation with the relevant stakeholders (Industry, National Agencies, EU Institutions).
- Supporting the Project preparation and implementation and managing industrial activities.
- Provide support to the ScyLight Programme Manager/System Engineer/Technical Leads in coordinating ESA internal studies and preparing the associated documentation.
- Support the ESA ScyLight Programme Manager/System Engineer/Technical Leads in monitoring activities related to the industrial activities, especially monitoring the coherent and cost-effective implementation of requirements from system level down to the lower sub-system level.
- Participation in Agency Reviews, notably supporting the ScyLight Programme Manager/System Engineer/Technical Leads in organizing the Phase A/B System Requirements Review and Preliminary Design Review as well as lower level technical reviews in the relevant field of interest.
- Supporting the definition of technology activities or additional technical studies in preparation of the next Phase of the Programme in the appropriate areas of competence.
- Assessment of new concepts and techniques to be applied to next generation telecommunication systems for both space and ground segment.
- Preparation of inputs to status reports.
- Support to the ScyLight Programme Manager:
- Support to preparatory activities in the course of defining and setting up new programme elements and the related programmatic frameworks.
- Support in the creation of information packages to Decision Makers and industrial partners.
- Support in the creation of internal or external decision documents (e.g. proposals to the ESA programme boards) throughout the relevant project lifetime.
- Identification and characterisation of new services and applications.
- Support to other projects or Directorates of ESA for the definition and operational assessment of applications and services.
- Support to standardisation activities in specific areas.
- Monitoring of and reporting about activities in other ARTES Elements or other relevant programmes including EC programmes.
- Initiation, preparation and running promotion activities, like workshops with Industry, other agencies or National Delegation as well as media related activities (e.g. web-articles).
- Initiation of and/or participation in international working groups.
- You have a Master’s Degree and relevant experience in aerospace or telecommunications.
- You have experience in an international team and you possess very good interpersonal skills, are well-organised, pro-active, self-motivated and able to work effectively in a matrix structure.
- You are fluent in English.
- You are able to draft technical reports.
- You have proven capabilities in preparation of programmatic frameworks requiring system and strategic thinking.
- You have experience with Optical Technologies (Space and/or terrestrial).
- You have relevant experience in requirements analysis, design, implementation and operations, and associated management.
- You have sound knowledge of the overall space market.
- You have good communication skills, problem solving skills and are able to manage relationships, work in a team and disciplined.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible for an EU or national personal security clearance at the level of CONFIDENTIAL or above.